EE 515/IS 523: Security 101: Think Like an Adversary
- Introduction Every student needs to
submit a summary of news once.
- Submission: You should post your
the KLMS. The link will be provided later.
- Submission dates
- Please check class calendar to see your
- Topic: News and research papers should
security issues. Your content should be different from others.
Therefore, always check the current postings. News must be fresh: it
should be published within two weeks from the due dates.
- News Summary
prefer investigative/data journalism. In other words, we want to learn
from news. So simply saying that "there was a DDoS on Israel Stock
Exchange" is not enough.
not rely on a single source. Read related articles and analyze what
happened and why such events happened. Discuss how to mitigate such
- Bibliography should be added at the end of your
news can be found easily from "The
register", "Ars Technica", "Bruce Schneier's blog", "F-secure web blog",
use twitter to follow people who posts a lot of security news. (e.g.
mikko, e_kaspersky, arstechnica, csoghoian, schneierblog, teamcymru,
- Research Paper Summary
- Research paper should be published within the past three
should be published in a top security conference such as ACM CCS, IEEE
Symposium on Security and Privacy, Usenix Security or ISOC NDSS.
- For papers published in other conference, please get
from me before posting.
- To summarize a paper, you often need to read more than
paper, as you might not have enough background on the topic.